- eMentoring. Jenny Leigh talks to Sarah Stewart about how she uses web conferencing for eMentoring in business and non-profit organisations.
- Virtual conference. The Virtual International Day of the Midwife is an annual online conference for midwives and people interested in pregnancy and birth.
- Facilitating asynchronous discussion. Lorraine Mockford talks to Sarah Stewart about strategies for engaging students in discussion boards and people in general interest online communities.
Web ConferencingJoin the virtual class meeting in WiziQ - Monday 4th April 14.00 hours New Zealand time (World Clock) - click onto this link to join the Wiziq meeting room.
The speaker will be Dr. Nellie Deutsch who will talk about her experiences as an online facilitator and will also spend some time showing us how WiZiQ works. Nellie has a PhD in educational leadership and specializes in curriculum and instruction and in integrating technology into blended and fully online programs. She has designed and facilitated thousands of online workshops including Moodle for Teachers (Orientation, Beginners, Intermediate, Advanced), online facilitation, WebQuests, Professional Electronic Portfolios (via the Moodle and Mahara), and TESOL. She also presents at online and face-to-face conferences on leadership, Teaching English as a Foreign Language, and Blended Learning. In addition, she organizes and co-moderates live online conferences such as the annual February Connecting Online (CO09, CO10, CO11)and MoodleMoot (August). Nellie has also facilitated many Learning for Content (L4C) online workshops on how to use the wiki, create OER, and collaborate on WikiEducator.
- WiziQ is a free tool you may be interested in if you are a business or non-profit organisation. Information about how to use WiZiQ can be found here
- If you have any problems accessing the Wiziq classroom on the day, please contact Sarah on Skype (sarah.m.stewart)
1. Write a blog post. You may wish to answer these questions.
- How does a facilitator build an online community or network?
- What are the key things to remember when facilitating an event, meeting or education course, especially when working with people who are new to online technology?
- What is the difference between teaching and facilitation?
- What is netiquette?
2. If you would like additional experience facilitating a live, online event, please feel free to volunteer to facilitate a session during the Virtual International Day of the Midwife on May 5th. This opportunity is open to ALL students. For more information, please contact Sarah Stewart.
Image: 'Metropolis Globe New York'