To be able to use Elluminate you will need:
- Internet connection - Eluminate should work with a dial-up connection.
- Headphones, if you are in a room with other users
- Microphone, if you wish to speak. Otherwise, you can communicate with instant text "chat" that is part of the Elluminate program
- Speakers - if more than one person is watching and listening
- Web browser such as Firefox or Internet Explorer.
The course virtual classroom is open now so that you can go in, set up your computer and meet others to practice online communication. To access the Elluminate virtual classroom, please click on this link.
Tips for using Elluminate
- Here is a video that gives a quick overview of Elluminate.
- Before you can access the meeting, you will need to download software called 'Java Webstart'.
- Here is information to help you if you are using Elluminate with a dial-up connection.
- It is recommended that you log on at least 10-15 minutes before the meeting so you become familiar with things like use of the microphone, and set your volume and mic controls.
- Here is information about what to do once you have joined an Elluminate meeting.
If you are having trouble accessing Elluminate, especially from an institution, organisation or business, it may be that your firewall or Internet policies is preventing you from downloading the software. So it is important that you check this out with your IT department. If you're having trouble accessing Elluminate in your business/institution with a firewall /proxy issue, ask your IT people to open traffic to elluminate.tekotago.ac.nz:2187
If you are having problems with Elluminate, please feel free to contact the Otago Polytechnic Helpdesk: email@example.com but be aware they will only respond to questions 8am - 5pm New Zealand time.
Also, try the Elluminate website: http://support.elluminate.com.
You may also be able to get help from the Online Support Center for Elluminate:
North America 866-388-8674
Non Tool Free